It goes without saying that social media is not optional if you want to thrive in today’s market.
And no one wants to be that person. BUT so many business owners don’t know where to begin so they spew sales pitches left, right and center leaving their audience disgusted and annoyed. This is totally avoidable, though, if you’re willing to put in the time and effort to set yourself up for success.
So, da da da daaaa! Here we are to the rescue! Because we believe you can take the mystery out of great marketing strategy in just a few steps.
(Oh, and because we don’t want yucky pitches clogging up our feeds, either.)
These are the 4 key guiding principles that everyone needs to know to rock social media marketing:
1. Add value, and then add some more
No one is gonna want to follow you (except your mom, and your best friend… maybe) if all you post are sales pitches.
Social media users don’t have time for that and, to be quite honest, are often enraged by it. They’re already inundated with marketing everywhere they turn and won’t give you the time of day if you don’t respect the fact that social media is about enjoyment and connection.
So, let’s talk about connection. (Because, obviously, the enjoyment piece comes from all the awesome cat videos being shared on Facebook.)
What helps users connect with a company or brand? Value. And I don’t mean discount codes or reasons why you can’t live without the all new lambskin lined pleather Snuggy. I mean real value. The goods. The stuff that keeps people coming back to your feed for more.
Ways you can add value to your audience’s feed:
- Useful advice – Stuff people actually want to know. For example, if you’re a copywriter, share quick tips about how people can write more compelling copy. Or, if you’re a travel blogger, tell us the top 5 things to do at a destination.
- Tips, recipes and tutorials
- Quotes and motivation – These get shared widely (plus, you get bonus points if they’re branded).
- Behind the scenes looks – People want to connect with others, so show them how relatable you are in real life.
- Third-party content that you enjoyed – You don’t have to reinvent the wheel! Share stuff that you enjoyed that you know will be relevant for your audience.
Value-added posts are not optional if you want to create and maintain a following. The key is to zero in on what your audience is curious about and interested in.
2. Be clear on your target audience
3. Speak directly to that audience
4. Plan it out
- What your ideal client likes and wants to hear about,
- What kinds of posts will appeal to those interests,
- What platforms your ideal client is active on,
- When your audience is active on each platform,
- What makes them unfollow someone,
- What hashtags they’re using,
- Who else they’re following,
- What promotions and events you’ve got coming up in the next 3 months.
By considering all of these things, you’ll be way more likely to engage your audience and avoid the oh-so-common ick factor. (Ahem… the ick factor is when a company or brand is so salesy on social media that you can’t help but gag and rush to unfollow them.)
Did you know that Lantern offers totally customized social media strategy packages? We know it takes a ton of time to plan out a great social media presence and that you probably just don’t have the space in your schedule to do it justice. So, we’re offering this super affordable package! Check out what you’ll get here!
Sounds doable, right? See! Social media doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Start by following these 4 key principles and gradually add to your strategy piece by piece, making it more and more dynamic.
We wanna hear from you! Tell us in the comments how you add value to your audience’s feeds. And don’t forget to share this with an entrepreneur friend!
Have a wonderful day and keep shining!